Tuesday 22 September 2009

Technique - General Osteopathic Examination

During technique practice it became apparent that I need to do more active examinations as well as how important it is to perform a sitting examination as it can give lots of information about the pelvis and leg length as well as whether a patients scoliosis is functional or structural.

13/11/09 - Kiera Kinch Tutorial - Knee Examination

It wasn't until Keira Kinch gave us a tutorial that I really appreciated how observation is the first key step to assessment. When a fellow student was asked to perform a knee examination to the rest of the tutorial group. She did as I would ... stand the patient up and look at their knees etc and then get them straight onto the table to perform a passive examination.

When the tutor repeated the examination she look at the patient in greater detail and got the patient to do active movements. She asked the patient to engage their quads whilst standing to see how the patella tracks and she asked the patient to do squats to see how the different muscle groups engaged.

25/01/2009 - Anatomy Trains


Something that I don't feel the course at the BSO has given me is a very good understanding of fascia and how muscles are interconnected. Obviously I understand why we need to learn the individual muscles and there origins and insertions, however through clinical experience I have learnt to appreciate how important myofacial connections are. An example of this is whilst treating a patient with lateral knee pain. It wasn't until I started working more globally on the 'Superficial Back Line' that I really did make some functional changes to my patients pain whilst running.

No comments:

Post a Comment