Tuesday 5 January 2010

ADVANCED SPINAL MANIPULATION

05/01/10 - Had our first ASM lecture today. I'm really excited about this module as having seen tutors who are able to use this technique in clinic look so professional and slick, they make it look effortless and the patients say that it is so comfortable to have it done to them.

12/01/10 - Okay so this week we revisited the principles of ASM. I'm still struggling with doing HVT with long levers that I don't think I'm at the stage where I can learn minimal leverage yet.

19/01/10 - Today we discussed junctional areas and looked at mobilising the T/L and L/S. Now normally I can manage to cavitate a T/L as the rotational element of the joint means it is an easy joint to cavitate with rotation, but with ASM I just cant feel the tension in the joint.

What has been good about today is the discussion of the L/S and that its plane of movement can vary quite considerably hence why is a standardised approach to winding up the L/S then it may not be possible to cavitate it, but the direction of the plane needs to be tested before hand.

26/01/10 - Today we looked at side bending as the primary lever to HVT. It would be extremely advantageous to be able to mobilise the LSpine or CSpine with side bending. I can think of numerous occasions where if I was proficient at side bending thrusts it would have been more comfortable for the patient. I can also think of alot of patients whereby side bending as the primary lever in the LSpine would have been beneficial when there has been the possibility of discal involvement hence why rotation isn't suitable hence Ive opted not to mobilise the LSpine.

09/02/10 - Sitting CSpine thrusts are something that I like and something that I find relatively easy to perform, however I'm still struggling to apply minimal leverage. One really important thing that Daryl mentioned to us today is that he thinks we possible are so used to feeling the tight tension of a locked joint pre thrust that we are missing the tension of a wound up joint, I think he is right here but I just feel that I don't have enough experience to establish if the joint is wound up. I guess the only way it to attempt the trust, but that goes against everything we have been taught about not delivering the impulse unless we feel the joint is wound up.

He also demonstrated how to perform sitting LSpine thrust as side bending .... he's very good !!!

My struggle with the CT junction continues but today we were shown a seated CT thrust. As always Daryl made it look so easy, but its not. The beauty of the technique is that apart from having your head held and vision slightly obscured it was a really comfortable position to be in during the thrust. This one definitely needs some practice so I can utilise it on my patients.

23/02/10 - Rib thrusts are interesting thrusts. But as I'm struggling with my Dog technique I'm also struggling with my rib thursts. If I'm honest I don't feel today's session added anything to my rib thrust technique ... perhaps I'm just feeling rather despondent at the moment.



09/03 - Having the same old issue here with the SI thrusts as I'm having with all the other thrusts, i.e. if I cant feel the wind up with long levers how am I supposed to feel it with minimal short levers. Daryl's SI thrust is interesting as he delivers the impulse to the SI closest to the table opposed to the SI closest to the operator. I'm not sure what to think about this technique. I know Daryl is expectational at HVT's so I can see how it would work for him but I really struggled to establish where my force was being applied into the patients pelvis so I really could not say if I was feeling tension in the correct SI !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment