Tuesday 17 November 2009

Technique - CT Junction

Ive never been able to thrust a CT. From observation in clinic prone seems to be the most popular technique chosen by other students and tutors, followed by a lift off. I cant get either :-(((

17/01/10 - Having identified in that I'm struggling with CT thrusts a clinic tutor talked me through how she does her CT thrusts supine. She adds lots of side shift of the cervical spine down to the CT before applying any other levers. She allowed me to try the technique on her (which I was surprised about) ... and thankfully it was the first CT thrust I managed to get ... and it was supine, not the easiest of techniques I hasten to add.

11/04/10 - I'm still moaning to everyone about not getting my CT thrusts when another of the fourth years offers to show me how he does his prone technique. Theres nothing new about the technique compared to what we have been shown in technique apart from the addition of placing the tips of the fingers onto the SP of T1 whilst applying the side bending to ensure that the side bending go down to the CT. Then carry on as normal. Penny lent here CT to me to try ... I cavitated both sides ... I returned to favour to her and she got both sides ... one side even cavitated without the thrust.

23/04/10 - After my success with the prone technique one of the senior clinic tutors showed me her side lying technique. It really got me thinking about the levers and feeling what is happening at the joint instead of practising rehearsed application of the levers ... I haven't been very successful with this technique but when it does work it is very effective and non-traumatic for the patient compared to some of the prone thrusts we do.

12/05/10 - I think Ive now got 12 CT thrusts in a row with my new revised prone technique ... Ive even been able to teach others how to do it ....

No comments:

Post a Comment