Tuesday 20 October 2009

Technique - Cervical Spine

20/10/09 - Whilst working with Nandeep today it became apparent that she was loosing first lever whilst applying the others which was making the wind up in effective. Also it became a little tender at times when she didn't stay on the articular pillars.

25/11/09 - During a technique tutorial in clinic today I was shown another approach to manipulating the OA. The technique is basically the same as we are shown in technique class but with full rotation, then you take off half, then you put on full side-bending, test your levers, add on side bending and shift if required and then thrusts. Ive tried it a few time now when practising, but I'm not sure its C1-2 that's cavitating.

24/03/10 - Doing well with my upper CSpine thrusts ... not many I'm missing ... however my lower CSpine is still hit or miss (so to speak). On reflection I feel that Im loosing it whilst adding the other components (i.e. taking off the last lever) and that I'm struggling to support the weight of the head as I'm trying to wind up the joint. Having discussed this with tutors I feel that I need to apply side-shift before the rest of the levers to lockout the neck to stabilise it before the weight of the head affects my thrust.

11/04/10 - Today I had a patient that I needed to thrust their OA joint. I don't know why but the thought of doing this panicked me as I haven't had the opportunity to practise my thrust as the students that I practice technique with dont want to practice OA thrusts hence I didn't feel confident. The tutor thrust the patients OA for me. He used a different technique which was a combination of a cradle and a chin hold. The technique worked for him. It heiglightened to me how techniques can be adapted to suit the individual practitioner as long as good anatomical knowledge and a clear idea of what your trying to achieve is used.



13/05/2010 - Whilst performing a HVT to a mid CSpine today I had the wind up but then when I went to thrust it was very weak and feeble. I was really embarrassed. I tried again and it was still feeble. By this stage I was really hot and sweaty and uncomfortable. Miss Gooddard was excellent as ever and put me at ease for when I had to try to manipulate the same joint on the other side. This time I had success. Its strange as its always been my left hand that has been my stronger hand at CSpine thrusts ... but not this time.

Me performing a CSpine HVT on a fellow student during a clinical tutorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment