Tuesday 13 October 2009

Technique - Lumbar Spine

13/10/09 - During technique practise we found that we were placing our elbows in the wrong place on the innominate and it was painful to perform the thrust.

29/11/09 - Discussion with Chris Thomas - we don't need to apply so much pressure with the caudal hand during the thrust.

26/12/09 - Discussion with Simon Browning - During LSpine thrust it is more important to make good contact with our ASIS than the pressure that we apply with our caudal applicator. In theory we should be able to thrust with only applying the caudal forearm to stabilise the patient.

04/02/10 - Clinic - Whilst treating a 22 year old female rower with a Rib 12, QL and LS strain I tried to manipulate her LS without success. I found it so difficult to wind up the joint as she was so mobile ... I felt that I had her in so much rotation that her lower extremity was almost 180 degrees from her trunk !!! Need to practise LSpine thrusts with hypermobile patients.

18/02/10 - Side bending thrust Mr Barker - During a clinic tutoral with Mr Barker we were shown how to perform a side bending LSpine thrust. The hand hold was very much like a SI with the caudal hand on the patient pelvis to perform the drop. This technique was very much like the Anterior SI thrust where it feels like I put a lot of strain in my caudal arm. However the technique was very effective and we revised the type of patients that a side bending thrust may be a good technique to use.

14/03/10 - Haven't thrust many LSpines lately ... must find time to practise them as I'm concerned that I wont be able to thrust them like my TSpine thrusts !!!

16/04/10 - Had some positive feed-back from Mr Harding today concerning my LSpine thrusts ... he said that they looked very comfortable for the patient and that the wind-up was very joint specific.

20/04/10 - On watching one of the smaller girls in clinic today attempting to thrust a 6'4" muscular male it was obvious that she didn't have the table low enough as she wasn't able to put her PSIS onto the patients inomminate ... I had to resist offering advice during the technique in front of the patient ... which was hard as I wanted to have a go myself lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment