Wednesday 14 October 2009

S-CS: Strain-Counterstrain of Piriformis with a Lumbar Disc Bulge - does it work ?!?!


Well I'm here in Bethnal Green clinic. Just seen a returning patient with a suspected Disc Bulge of her Lumbar Spine who is receiving treatment whilst awaiting an assessment for a MRI scan. During the treatment I decided that I would try my new technique of S-CS to piriformis side-lying.

No sure I'll be doing this technique again with a patient that is in as much acute pain as this lady was with her low back.

With her side-lying I found the Tender Point so took the leg into Flexion, this wasn't a problem however when I tried to add either int/ext rotation to relive the Tender Point ... this wasn't happening, as in order for her me to support the weight of her lower limb and get her in a position of ease meant I was was putting movement through her pelvis and ultimately her lumbar spine.

Not sure whether this technique wasn't suitable or whether it was more to do with operator error ... I need to do some work on this !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment